07 June 2007

Anywhere

The funny thing about taking these photos and writing a bit of accompanying text is that I often end up learning more about the things I encounter after I get home and begin searching for some context for the day's events. This was certainly true today, when this stencil caught my attention:
Placed at a very busy intersection of several roads at Archway tube, this hitchhiker could cause drivers to do double-takes as they raced by if they hadn't encountered it before. It wasn't until I got home that I wondered about the prison uniform and ball and chain in the stencil. Well apparently, this is a Banksy creation and the hitchhiker is meant to be Charles Manson! This information makes the stencil as good a public service announcement as any about the dangers of picking up hitchhikers. Yikes!

No comments: