26 November 2007

Tap Window and Wait

It's sometimes difficult in London to slow down, look around, take time to notice things around you. Whether on the crowded streets or overcrowded public transportation, every step forward means you're that much closer to getting a seat, getting to where you're going, getting home. Although I often try to catch myself from succumbing too supremely to this mindset, the truth is that London's a busy city and you can get trampled here if you don't keep your feet moving and your elbows at the ready! (For example, this Lloyd's TSB advert pretty accurately represents a rush-hour crowd hustling to catch a train, and made me smile the first time I saw it, although it doesn't realistically show what the inside of the train looks like after that many people have successfully crammed into the carriages!) I don't know how many times I've passed the site of today's photo and thought, "That would make a good picture" before continuing along in the crowd transferring from the Northern line to the Jubilee line at London Bridge station. Today I waited until the crowds from my train passed through and I snapped this pic:
Artist Gayle Chong Kwan and catering students from Southwark College created these eerie food landscapes, part of a larger installation called Journey to the Centre of the Earth. The experience of walking through a tunnel lined with a sci-fi world of fruit and vegetable cuttings always brings a smile to my face. After we met at Southwark station, Bob and I walked over to Jerwood Space, a wonderful arts space that we've long had on our list for a return visit.


After we looked through the 2007 Jerwood Photography Awards exhibit, we decided to walk up to Tate Modern for a peek at an exhibit that we hadn't yet seen. Along the way, the funny instructions on and around this building's buzzer caught my attention:
As we approached Tate Modern, neither of us could remember seeing this statue before, situated just behind the gallery:
After I got home, I discovered the most amazing thing about this piece, Monument to the Unknown Artist, unveiled just six days ago: it moves! We'll have to go back again and try it out for ourselves . . .

No comments: