05 July 2007

Heureux

We decided to treat ourselves today with a spur-of-the-moment trip to Paris.
Okay, we didn't really go to Paris, but we did the next best thing by walking down to our local boulangerie/ patisserie for some spectacular coffee in their very cosy, very French surroundings. Since the front room seemed to be full of smokers on previous visits, we always sat in the (very nice) back room or back garden, but today we had a window seat in the front room (I will, at some point, stop talking about how the smoking ban has changed my London life, I promise, or at least I think . . .) which allowed me to notice this inscription for the first time:
This simple sentence challenges my very limited French, but I think the sentiment goes something like, "No one is happy except the lover of food and drink." I'm taking "gourmand" to mean "foodie" rather than "greedy person," but you can let me know if I've erred, especially taking these next two photos into account:

Take-away treats that we splurged on for a much later dessert, a little orange and lemon cheesecake and a piece of pear chocolate cake do not gluttons make-- or do they?

No comments: