05 January 2007

Don't Forget Your Programmes and Ice Cream

It's not hard to find interesting freebies in London if you have a good source of information. After Bob finished work today, we zipped down to The Royal Festival Hall for what turned out to be some brilliant jazz from the Zoe Rahman Trio.

At times a quartet featuring Zoe's brother on clarinet, they played some compositions from her Mercury-Prize-shortlisted recent album and the sounds were always engaging and fun.

During the performance, I noticed a sign that made me smile, since I don't think I've ever seen these two nouns paired before:

After the concert, we started wandering along the banks of the Thames and noticed an interesting multimedia installation
and some festive sculptures by David Batchelor that nicely fit in with the construction currently in evidence at the Royal Festival Hall.
From here, we walked over to the Tate Modern to see a few exhibits that we didn't see last time. As with our last visit, we were too late to snap up any of the free, timed tickets to ride the three tallest slides, but I was reminded of the time my family went to Disneyland when I was young (nine? ten?) and I was too short to ride any of the rides I wanted to try (I could only go on the teacups and the ferris wheel, if an adult accompanied me), so when I noticed the signs that had plagued my youth, Bob took this photo of my adult triumph:

We saw that there wasn't a line to ride the smallest slide, for which you don't need timed tickets, so I gleefully handed Bob my bag and emptied my pockets of my mobile phone and the camera, and off I went:
Even though it was the shortest slide, it was also the twistiest and so still grand fun!

No comments: