25 December 2007

Our Seoul and Tokyo Adventure: Day Six

We "slept in" this morning (which by my parents' standards meant breakfast at 8:30 A.M.) and instead of a Canadian-style turkey dinner today, we were going to go to a brilliant place for a steak lunch, but they didn't end up taking reservations and everyone figured it would be too crowded today, so we changed our plans and went to a "sushi and seafood family restaurant" instead. On our way from the parking lot to the restaurant, we passed by quite a few doorways that made Bob smile, as they seemed to accentuate his extremely tall stature in Korea:
"Sushi and seafood family restaurants" are currently very trendy in Korea, and well, if today's meal was any indication, we both certainly hope they remain trendy until our next visit. As we had our first glance at the buffet, I asked Bob if he missed turkey today. He replied, "This is the best Christmas ever! I don't know how to pick!" and then zoomed off to get a plate. Not only was there the advertised sushi and seafood, there were also assorted Asian noodles, meat, chefs standing at the ready to make personalised pasta meals (with fresh pasta) and omelettes, a do-it-yourself taco station, pizza, a small section of Chinese stir fries, different soups, various hot and cold drinks, do-it-yourself parfaits, a selection of cakes, a fondue station, and (most incredibly to me) a spin-it-yourself cotton candy machine. With all this on offer, we only had about a quarter of the items, concentrating on, well, sashimi, sushi, and other seafood items!


Oh and there was also a fresh juicebar, made-to-order! For dessert, I had some strawberry juice, a few fresh lychees, and intoxicating squares of tiramisu and a pecan-pie type cake.
After our long lunch, it was definitely going to be a day of relaxing around the house, so my dad, Bob and I had a game of scrabble (Bob won)
and Bob and I had a good look at the map on my dad's office wall which shows all the places in the world that he's been.
Incredibly, my parents called us for dinner at the usual time (they're not into skipping meals). After our Christmas-Day feast, Bob and I could hardly eat any of the ban chan
or tempting denchang chigae (soybean paste stew)
that they had devised as a "light" supper, but we still somehow managed to fit something into our stomachs! After dinner, we flipped through my parents' channels (they may have way more than our humble five, but there's still not much on TV) and my dad watched one of his favourite channels for a while--an all paduk (go) channel, with games and expert commentary.
Soon after, it was time for bed, and our heads hit our pillows after a lovely day of good food, good company, and plenty of what my dad calls "doing lazy." I hope your Christmas was filled with similar delights!

No comments: