12 June 2007

Le Merle

Today I had a look at two galleries that I haven't been to yet. The Sprüth Magers Gallery hosted a Cindy Sherman show (that it had previously put on 32 years ago) in its lovely gallery space,
although there's always something about having to be buzzed into a gallery that feels a bit wrong. Anyway, my other gallery stop was at Chelsea Space, a great small gallery, part of Chelsea College of Art and Design and very close to Tate Britain.
I loved the exhibit, an intriguing mix of works by Shin Azumi and Norman McLaren. Although the connection between the two seemed tangential at times, Azumi lists McLaren as one of his influences, and particularly admires the way that McLaren "achieved a balance in creating entertaining work that is also experimental and conceptual," something that could also be said of Azumi. In this shot of part of the gallery space, McLaren's film Neighbours plays on the table, while Izumi's furniture graces the walls and floor.
The two chairs on the floor, Turf Chair and Hedge Sofa, from Izumi's FlowLounge series, are some of the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat on. Izumi's Snowman salt and pepper shakers are also pleasing,
but what these photos don't convey is the enjoyment I got out of McLaren's films. Can you watch Le Merle and not find yourself smiling and humming the tune for the rest of the day? I couldn't.

No comments: