26 June 2007

Listening to Trees

When we got off the bus on the northern side of Kensington Gardens, we soon realised that we hadn't yet wandered much through this part of the park. I loved this drinking fountain, donated by The Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association in honour of their eightieth anniversary in 1939:
The next sculpture we encountered was of Peter Pan,
strangely (at least to me) presented by the story's author, J.M. Barrie, in 1912. Do authors usually donate statues depicting their own works? Anyway, we finally arrived at our destination, the Royal College of Art's summer graduation show, taking place for the first time in a tent near the Albert Memorial in Kensington Gardens
in addition to the RCA building across the street. One of the artists set up an installation consisting of headphones dangling from this London Plane outside the tent,
giving the public a chance to hear the sound of water being pulled up from a tree's roots.
(I must admit that it just sounded like plain old rushing water to me . . . but I suppose it's still a sound we don't often hear!) Overall, the quality of the work was very high and we spent quite a bit of time wandering through all the different displays. Unfortunately, photography wasn't allowed in either exhibition space, so the only peek inside I can give you is this assortment of artists' cards that I took from some of my favourites:

No comments: