02 June 2007

Only One Left

Well, it looks like summer's here to stay. The buses are unbelievably hot and the tube is even hotter (neither has air-conditioning), with some tube platforms feeling more like saunas than places where fully clothed people pay for the privilege of waiting to get into sweltering tube carriages. The positive side of all of this is that the outside air temperature seems wonderfully cool in comparison! The negative side is that clouds of swirling pollen are still setting off my hay fever. The positive side of hay fever is . . . okay, I'll have to stop there. As I sneezed my way home, I saw a common London sight--side-by-side buildings that likely span several centuries:
I also liked how this sign could mistakenly be thought to be directing people to the red brick of St. Pancras behind it (notice there's a tree to the left of St. Pancras, just like there is on the hostel sign). Although you'll pay what I think is an outrageous price for a hostel if you follow this sign (around £50 for two people staying in rooms with three to six hostel beds per room), it won't be enough to stay in the revamped St. Pancras, either as a hotel guest or a homeowner when it reopens in the next year or two. (There's only one apartment left, at the bargain price of £1.85 million/ CAD$3.9 million, if you're interested . . .)

No comments: