26 December 2006

Barbara Kruger on Boxing Day

It appears that we didn't learn our lesson last week because we headed back to Oxford Street to check out the Boxing-Day sales. Since we were looking for household stuff, rather than clothes, we stuck to department stores and ended up getting a chef's knife and a rice cooker, both 20% off. Selfridges was probably the craziest of all today, packed with people swarming for savings on the most stylish goods. I don't think I'll ever get used to their Barbara Kruger advertising, though. Apparently, she's been working with Selfridges since 2003 and has not commented about that relationship, but I wonder whether the shopping elite feel validated or mocked (or both) by her banners, glaring her trademark red throughout the shop, as they proclaim, "You want it, you buy it, you forget it," "It's new, it's you, it's everything, it's nothing," "Buy me, I'll change your life," and "I shop therefore I am."

No comments: