12 March 2007

The Glorious Fig

When Bob and I were in Paris last month, we made a stop at one of my favourite shops, L'Épicerie, on Rue Saint-Louis en L'Île. A great foodie haven, they craft an amazing selection of jams, vinegars, and mustards which are only available for sale in this shop. Some of the flavour combinations are very unique and if condiments are your thing, it's very difficult to leave without making at least one purchase. With friendly people, a picture-perfect location, beautiful shelves, and classy giftwrapping, L'Épicerie is a wonderful example of the type of individual attention to detail and societal valuing of culinary care that makes Paris seem more like a fantasy than a reality. Why am I mentioning all of this now? Well, it all comes down to figs. Let me explain: I love figs. Still confused? Let me really explain: when we were paying for our purchases at L'Épicerie on our most recent visit, the proprietor and I had a conversation in French (with my side being very very halting) at Bob's expense. It went something like this:
*
Me: I love your fig jam (which we bought last time), but he (pointing to Bob) doesn't like figs, so this time I'm getting something that we'll both like.
Proprietor: What? He doesn't like figs? But figs are life! Without figs and foie gras, there is no life worth living! (to Bob, with a smile and a giant flourish of his hand:) Get out of my shop!
Me: Yes, he doesn't like figs, but I married him anyway.
Proprietor: I cannot understand why! (furiously shaking his head)
*
Anyway, when I sat down to write today's post involving figs, I couldn't help but think of this fan of la figue, and thought I'd share his enthusiasm with you. My current enthusiasm is for something decidedly non-artisan, but glorious nonetheless:

I just discovered that my local Sainsbury's sells this, the best supermarket yogourt I've ever had, with big chunks of fruit, a super-creamy texture, and an I-can't-believe-it-didn't-come-from-the-farmers'-market flavour. The fact that it's also the only fig yogourt I've ever seen for sale at a grocery store may be biasing me a bit, but I also love the rhubarb version, so it can't all be bias. Although I learned that you can buy the same line of yogourt in Canada, the Canadian range of flavours does not include fig (or rhubarb)--the L'Épicerie proprietor would not be amused.

No comments: