13 May 2007

Words

Bob and I have often complained about the slogan of supermarket giant Tesco, seen here at the bottom of one of their cute carrier bags:

Is there something we're missing? Is there a reasonable grammatical explanation for a slogan that seems to be lacking its crucial noun? Or is the presumed omission supposed to suggest that the crucial noun is shoppers themselves, and only those shoppers can put themselves into the slogan through their actions? I know I've thought about this too much (which could actually be a measure of the slogan's success, rather than its failure), but it annoys me to no end. (I do like the ladybugs though, which is why I bought the bag.) And to go along with today's theme of words, in case you've been wondering about the state of the internet, someone else has already figured it all out:

No comments: