07 September 2007

Oranges and Lemons

Bob and I met at Liverpool Street station today and had some coffee near Spitalfields Market--it was a bit strange to sit out on the sidewalk and not see the street full of people,
but I guess I'm used to Spitalfields on weekends when there's barely room to move! After coffee, we sauntered toward Beigel Bake for some scrumptious bagel treats, and I spotted this odd instruction in a window along the way:
It's not every day you are given the imperative to "Vote for clown." An even stranger sign cropped up later on our walk--I almost didn't notice it, since I've gained the London ability to ignore the eyesores that are estate-agent signs, but after we passed by this batch of signs, I stopped, spun around, and said, "That's weird . . ."
Looks like someone has decided to protest the whole "property ladder" mentality by reminding us that everything isn't for sale. Although I question the decision to add even more visual litter to London streets as part of this strategy, I guess the point is to make us look, think, and consider, which I did, so the idea must work on some level. I tried to find out more information about this sign,
but couldn't find any reference to Sud's. Regardless, we enjoyed how the street accommodated the kiosk, with the yellow lines going around it and the accompanying concrete ridge ensuring its position on the street. This last sign is my favourite from today:
Now, some of you probably instantly understand this sign, but it left me utterly confused until I got home and did some Googling. As with the "not for sale" sign, it wasn't until I had passed by that I stopped to take a second look. Orange and lemons? I looked around for a shop by that name, but couldn't see anything that fit that description, took the photo, and resolved to figure it all out later. Well, it turns out that this sign belongs to the church in the background. So why the reference to oranges and lemons? Well, the phrase alludes to a nursery rhyme (one that I've never heard before, but Bob knew the first line, at least) that refers to the ringing of London church bells, including the ones at St. Leonard's Shoreditch Church, where I spotted this sign. I read that the bells of St. Clement Danes play the tune of the nursery rhyme and after learning all this, Bob and I want to hear those bells for ourselves. Although it's St. Clement that claims the line "oranges and lemons," St. Leonard's must have put up this sign (so great, with its orange and yellow paint) knowing that any sensible person who came with a letter would recognise the allusion. Good thing I wasn't delivering today's mail!

No comments: